Thursday 18 August 2011

My New Journey with Math


Reflection on Chapters 1 and 2
Math is like a mysterious lady, so deep and sophisticated that I cannot fathom.  We are merely acquaintances - math has never been my forte.  However, after reading chapters 1 and 2, I realize that as a teacher, I have to first love maths so that my interest can rub off on my students.

When I read the principles and standards released by NCTM, I find it good to have such guidance and direction for math teachers as we plan our lessons.  Under The Teaching Principle, it states that "teachers' actions are what encourage students to think, question, solve problems, and discuss their ideas, strategies, and solutions" (NCTM, 2000, p.18).  This is so true.  As I recall my primary school days, my math teacher scolded me "stupid" when I could not solve the math problem on the chalkboard, and she laughed with the class as I went back to my seat in tears.  Worse, my secondary school math teacher labeled the whole class as "numbskulls" and "nincompoops".  Name callings definitely did not spur me to think or solve problems as I had no conceptual understanding in the first place.  Extreme awful feeling of defeat and humiliation had caused me to lose my self-respect as a math learner, and my budding interest for math was completely nipped off.     
 I agree that "effective mathematics teaching requires understanding what students know and need to learn and then challenging and supporting them to learn it well" (NCTM, 2000, p.16).  As a teacher, I ensure that I do not follow the footsteps of my math teachers; now I see that I also need to have the heart to understand my students, and be enthuiastic in facilitating them to develop a positive self-concept about their ability to learn and understand mathematics.
 It worries me a bit, though, to know that high-quality education needs teachers to (1) understand deeply the mathematics they are teaching; (2) understand how children learn mathematics; and (3) select instrucional tasks and strategies that will enhance learning.  With my bad experience with math and my limited interest in it, will I do a good job as a math teacher?

I have to face the fact that we have already entered into a new mathematics era; gone were the days of meaningless drillings and usage of formulas without understanding.  According to the 5 Process Standards, children have to learn how to problem solve, reason and prove, communicate, make connections within and among mathematical ideas and to the world, and also use representation to express mahematical ideas and relationships.  Well, it is time that I refresh and start on a new journey with math. I hope to kindle an interest for math, and be able to apply inquiry-oriented approaches to help my students focus on mathematical thinking and reasoning.  Besides this, I also have to inculcate technology into my teaching, as according to The Technology Principle, technology influences the mathematics that is taught and enhances students' learning (NCTM, 2000, p.24).  It seems that I have a lot to learn, but I am willing to try, bearing in mind that as a teacher of mathematics, not only must I have a depth of mathematics knowledge, I also have to be a good model for persistence, to display positive attitude, to be ready for changes, and to have a reflective disposition.

 So how do I get started?  I have to know what is doing mathematics.  The authors explain that "it means generating strategies for solving problems,applying approaches, seeing if they lead to solutions, and checking to see if your answers make sense" (Van De Walle, Karp, & Bay-Williams, 2010).  To help students share and defend mathematical ideas, the classroom environment has to promote risk-taking, and mathematical tasks are to be worthwhile.  I must admit that I am lacking in creating this kind of environment as I am a traditional teacher who explains too much.  Chapter 2 has introduced four features of productive classroom culture which I can adopt.  As mentioned in the chapter, construtcivist and sociocultural theories emphasize learners to build connection among existing and new ideas.  To help learners to become mathematically proficient, they should be allowed to reflect, use prior knowledge, have social interactions, and experiment in problem solving.  Classrooms that embrace culture for learning can empower the students to develop a sense of autonomy to play an active role in learning, and in testing out ideas and strategies.
Teachers play a part in creating a supportive environment and in making math lessons fun and exciting.  It is important that we are passionate to provide experiences that provoke students' thinking, reasoning, and reflection.  I am looking forward to learn from the coming math module to better myself both as a math learner and as a teacher.

 "Believe in kids!"
- John A.Van de Walle

No comments:

Post a Comment